Virtual Merit Badge Classes
Please check daily as more classes are being scheduled and confirmed!
Online Merit Badge Classes 2020
*Please note, all times listed are in EST*
In response to COVID-19, the Suffolk County Council, B.S.A. will be offering online merit badge classes starting Monday, March 30th, 2020 to any scout(s) involved in a Scouts BSA program. We believe that this will help support our youth and their families in these programs as our local communities have suspended all school and / or other group programs with no more than ten individuals present at one time.
Beginning Friday, March 27th, 2020, scouts and their families will be able to select and participate in any of the following online merit badge sessions. Each session will consist of multiple online classes. The scout(s) will receive a link to log into their class (no less than 24 hours before the start of the class).
Scouts will use these links each day to receive live instruction from a merit badge counselor. Scouts will have various requirements to complete each day before the next day’s classes.
Each Friday (of any given week) will be used by merit badge counselors to communicate with those scouts via email to wrap up any final paperwork and / or requirements to help with the completion of the merit badge. Overall, we believe that these online merit badge-based programs will make a great educational supplement to ongoing online efforts being made by our current public, private, and charter schools throughout our impacted region.
Blue cards will be provided digitally to the scout after the week is over and only after the merit badge counselor has verified that the individual scout has completed all listed requirements under that specific merit badge.
Additional Notes (Please Review)
1) Each scout must register separately so we can track their daily progress and attendance. For any scout that is interested to be a participant. There is no charge for the classes.
2) Current youth protection guidlines (two - deep leadership and no one-on-one contact) will be followed by all staff under the Suffolk County Council, B.S.A. and its merit badge counselors at all times while working with youth and their families; more information can be found below: "Important Excerpts from Advancement Guidelines".
3) We strongly encourage and recommend that any scout(s) participating in these online classes recieve permission from their parents / guardians and their unit leader(s); more information (below) - "Virtual Merit Badge Guidelines".
4) All live merit badge instruction will be provided by an online format called Zoom; an online portal provided by the Suffolk County Council, B.S.A.
5) Lastly, please be aware that not all merit badge requirements will be completed by the end of the week; some of these merit badges listed below have outdoor components that will not be able to be completed in an online setting. For these merit badges, Scouts will receive a "partial" and will be required to complete the remaining requirement(s) with their Unit leadership.
|WORKSHEETS||DATES/TIMES||LINK TO REGISTER||PREREQUISITES||MERIT BADGE PAMPHLETS|
|Citizenship in the Community||Saturday May 16th, Saturday May 23rd and Saturday May 30th, 10am-11am EST||CLASS IS FULL||Citizenship in the Community|
|Citizenship in the Nation||Saturday June 6th, Saturday June 13th and Saturday June 20th from 10am-11am EST||CLASS IS FULL||Citizenship in the Nation|
|Photography (May)||Monday May 11th through Wednesday May 13th, 7pm-8pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Photography|
|Citizenship in the World||Saturday June 27th, Saturday July 11th and Saturday July 18th from 10am-11am EST||CLASS IS FULL||Citizenship in the World|
|Music||Monday May 11th and Wednesday May 13th from 11:30am-12:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Music|
|Indian Lore||Tuesday May 12th and Thursday May 14th from 11:30am-12:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Indian Lore|
|Family Life||Tuesday May 26th and Wednesday May 27th from 4pm-5pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Family Life|
|Plant Science||Friday April 24th 6:30pm-7:30pm, Saturday May 2nd 11:30am-12:30pm AND Saturday May 23rd 11:30am-12:30pm EST||
|Coin Collecting||Monday May 11th through Wednesday May 13th, 8:15pm-9:15pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Coin Collecting|
|Citizanship in the Nation||Monday May 18th through Wednesday May 20th, 7pm-8pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Citizenship in the Nation|
|Disabilities Awareness||Monday June 1st, Wednesday June 3rd and Thursday June 4th from 4pm-5pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Disabilities Awareness|
|Tuesday May 26th through Thursday May 28th from 5:30pm-6:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Salesmanship|
|Genealogy (May)||Monday May 18th through Wednesday May 20th, 8:15pm-9:15pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Genealogy|
|Music||Monday May 18th and Wednesday May 20th from 11:30am-12:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Music|
|Family Life||Monday May 11th through Thursday May 14th, 5:30pm-6:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Family Life|
|Indian Lore||Tuesday May 19th and Thursday May 21st from 11:30am-12:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Indian Lore|
|Energy||Tuesday May 26th through Friday May 29th from 11am-12pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Energy|
|Environmental Science||Monday May 18th through Thursday May 21st, 4pm-5pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Environmental Science|
|Scholarship||Thursday May 14th and Thursday May 21st, 7pm-8pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Scholarship|
|Citizenship in the Community||Tuesday May 19th through Thursday May 21st, 5:30pm-6:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||Citizenship in the Community|
|Personal Fitness||Monday June 8th through Thursday June 11th from 7pm-8pm EST.||CLASS IS FULL||*Due to the requirements of this badge it cannot be completed in four meetings; Scouts MUST follow up with their completed work in 3 months*||Personal Fitness|
|Athletics||Monday June 1st through Thursday June 4th from 7pm-8pm EST.||CLASS IS FULL||*Due to the requirements of this badge it cannot be completed in four meetings; Scouts MUST follow up with their completed work in 3 months*||Athletics|
|Communication||Monday May 18th through Thursday May 21st, 2:30pm-3:30pm EST||CLASS IS FULL||
#1 (chooses a, b, c OR d)
#6 (example can be how you used EDGE method or Paul Bunion)
#9 - 1, 2 and 3
|District Executive - Sagtikos||Kimberly Russell||(631) 924-7000 x113|